Things to do in Shelby County
Shelby County is located right next to the eastern border of Texas, and is home to more than 25,000 residents. The county is named after Isaac Shelby, who fought in the American Revolution and went on to become Kentucky’s first governor.
Residents of Shelby County are surrounded by picturesque landscapes that stretch as far as the eye can see. There are plenty of great activities for everyone—the Toledo Bend Lake and other wildlife areas are a quick drive away, while the Historic Downtown Square provides plenty of great opportunities for sightseeing, shopping, and dining.
If you’re looking for things to do in Shelby County, here are a few we recommend:
- Enjoy camping? There are plenty of great camping sites in Shelby County, with dedicated areas to activities like swimming, fishing, boating, and horseback riding.
- Get more fromthe outdoors. Center City Park is great for those looking to spend some time outdoors. You can enjoy a picnic under the pavilion, explore the walking trails, go fishing, or take your kids to the playground.
- If art is your thing, head to the Lakes Area Art League Center. The venue hosts exhibits, art workshops, and many interesting cultural events throughout the year.
- Are you a bookworm? Then you’ll feel right at home browsing more than 13,000 books at the Fannie Brown Booth Memorial Library, which also hosts reading programs throughout the year.
- Experience real-life shopping again. At Shelby County, you can still find physical department stores and shops that sell candy, outdoor equipment, furniture, toys, gifts, art, and other items.Experience the fun of browsing amongst goods you can try on, sample, or simply hold.
- Play a round of golf at the Center Country Club, which features meticulously maintained fairways and greens and world-class facilities.
- Catch a movieat a historic theater. The Rio Theatre is a restored state-of-the-art theater that’s over 80 years old. The unique theatre can be found at the Downtown Historic Center Square.