Spanning approximately 114,500 acres, majestic Lake Sam Rayburn is the largest manmade lake in Texas. Located north of Jasper, the lake was built primarily as a means for flood control of the Angelina and Neches River basins, as well as to supply waterto the Beaumont and Lufkin areas.
Many locals and tourists frequently enjoy a wide selection of fun outdoor activities around Lake Sam Rayburn. There’s over 750 miles of pristine shoreline surrounding the lake, and its waters are perfect for all kinds of water sports and activities.
Below are some of the great activities you can enjoy on and around the lake:
- Fishing is one of the best activities at the Sam Rayburn Reservoir. Throughout the year, fishing enthusiasts can catch a variety of species which include largemouth bass, catfish, crappie, white bass, sunfish, and many more.
- Those looking to spend a night or two along Lake Sam Rayburn’s shores have plenty of campsites, resorts, and RV sites to choose from. Most sites come with everything you need, which includes parking, electrical service, water hookups, clean restrooms, and boat, jet ski, and fishing equipment rentals.
- Grab a bite at one of the waterfront restaurants that feature spectacular views of Lake Sam Rayburn. Enjoy a cup of coffee or a hearty meal while feeling the cool breeze and taking in the glorious natural surroundings. Popular restaurants around the lake are Stump Restaurant & Club, Catfish Cabin, and Billy’s Old Fashion Barbecue.
- Golfers can practice their swing at Rayburn Country, an 18-hole championship course that features sweeping views of the lake. Designed by the talented Russell Design Group, the course features over 150 feet of elevation, manicured fairways and greens, and strategically placed tees and bunkers.
- Adventurers can trek through one of the many trails located around Lake Sam Rayburn. Hikers, mountain bikers, and horseback riders are all welcome to use the trails, which wind through captivating scenery filled with towering trees, rolling meadows, and tranquil streams.