Named after John Newton, an American Revolutionary War veteran, Newton County is an area surrounded by the breathtaking wonders of nature. The county has a very easygoing, laidback lifestyle, and provides a plethora of enjoyable leisure activities for visitors and residents alike.
There are tons of fantastic activities in store for you at Newton County. In case you don’t know which places to head to, here are a few excellent suggestions:
1. Feel the warmth of the sun and the soft grass beneath your feet at the 30-acre Caney Creek Park. The perfect placeto unwind, the park has plenty of picnic spots, walking paths, and shaded areas great for reading a book or simply admiring the gorgeous surroundings.
2. Drop by the Newton County Fairgrounds if you happen to be in the area in July. The annual Newton County Fair has been called by one attendee as the “best small town 4-h fair with awesome country in the country concerts!”
3. Kayak or paddleboard at the Toledo Bend Reservoir and Sabine River. They’re two of the best spots in the region for fishing and all sorts of fun water activities.
4. Take a self-guided tour of the area’s rich history. Visit the Newton County Historical Center to view their collection of rare and interesting artifacts. The self-guided tour will take you through the county’s many fascinating historical landmarks.
5. Find yourself in the midst of some of America’s most magnificent forests. The Great Eastern Forest, the Big Thicket National Preserve, and many other serene forested areas are all just a short drive away, opening up a diverse array of unforgettable activities for nature enthusiasts. Whether you’re planning to go hiking, fishing, biking, swimming, or camping, you’re sure to find your favorite nature destination in and around Newton County.
6. Go jump in the lake—Lake Sam Rayburn, to be exact. Occupying 114,000acres, Lake Sam Rayburn is a fantastic destination for a weekend trip with the entire family. The lake is located less than 20 minutes west of Newton County and boasts over 750 miles of pristine shoreline. It’s the ideal place for all sorts of recreational activities like wakeboarding, waterskiing, boating, camping, bird watching, hiking, and many more.