Located a short drive away from major Texas cities such as San Antonio, Tyler, Dallas and Austin, Angelina County serves as the perfect weekend getaway for visitors of all ages.
Don’t let the area’s quiet, small-town charm fool you—Angelina County is abuzz with exciting activities, whether you’re into outdoor recreation, endless shopping sprees, spectacular performances, or superb cuisine.
In case you don’t know where to start, here are some of the great things you can do in Angelina County:
- 1. Discover the manytop-rated golf courses around the county. Some of the best courses are located in Lufkin, which include the Crown Colony Country Club, Lufkin Country Club, and the Neches Pines Golf Course.
2. Enjoy the great outdoors at the 160,000-acre Davy Crockett National Forest, a paradise filled with towering pines, serene streams, and vast recreation areas. Activities include camping, swimming, hiking, boating, fishing, and many more.
3. Go get a little retail therapy at the Lufkin Mall, home to over 50 name brand stores, unique specialty shops, and fantastic restaurants. The shopping mall is located on Loop 287 and Highway 59.
4. Take your kids to the award-winning Ellen Trout Park & Zoo, which is home to over 500 fascinating animals. The zoo is one of county seat Lufkin’s top attractions, and is open every day of the year from 9a.m. to 5p.m.
5. Explore the Angelina College Forest Fitness Trail. Hike the scenic trail that winds through over 20 acres of pine-hardwood forest, one of the most refreshing areas in the county.
6. Check out several excellent historical and cultural museums around Angelina County, such as the First Street Arts Center, Museum of East Texas, Texas Forestry Museum, and The History Center. They’re not only educational, they’re fascinating, too!
7. Catch a large mouth bass at the Lake Sam Rayburn by heading to Cassels-Boykin Park and paddling mid-lake.